Earlier this week, Samsung responded to its mounting Galaxy Note 7 problems by announcing a software fix that would limit the sleek new phone from charging past 60 percent.
The software update was issued for people outside the U.S. who ignoring an initial recall notice about the phone, which a small number of users reported was exploding and bursting into flames.
There was an placed on the front page of a large South Korean newspaper, the Seoul Shinmum, which read: “It is a measure to put consumer safety first but we apologize for causing inconvenience.”
The update for South Korean users will start Sept. 20, it said.
Meanwhile, in the U.S., federal consumer safety regulators formally recalled more than 1 million o
f the Samsung devices Thursday.
After getting 92 reports of batteries overheating from U.S. consumers, including 55 reports of property damage, Samsung said it would stop selling the Note 7 in the U.S. on Sept. 2.
Some U.S. airlines and transits systems began to ask passengers not to use the Note 7 on rides and flights, due to the potential hazard. And following Thursday’s recall, the FAA said Note 7 users must power down their devices on flights and must protect from having the phone turned on accidentally.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission said U.S. consumers can begin swapping their current Note 7 for new ones on Sept. 21. CPSC chairman Elliot Kaye urged all customers to take advantage of the recall.
In its recall notice, the CPSC said “consumers should immediately stop using and power down the recalled Galaxy Note7 devices.”
Customers can get a free replacement from Samsung or their wireless carrier or retail outlet next week. They can also request a different phone.