Verizon, as had been rumored, will carry the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus later this year.
A few key features:
- The operating system has been completely rethought and has some neat features like swiping to move through email (right to move ahead, left to move back) and a panoramic camera feature, which lets you take those long horizontal shots that look so good when you see the sunset photos. The camera shutter speed is insanely fast. You can quick trigger shots with no lag time.
- You can easily track data usage with a graphic app. The app will also automatically turn off your data if you hit a cap number that you enter. That can come in handy to prevent overage charges. There’s also NFC support to use the phone as a debit card of sorts (at stores that accept them)
- A new People app lets you see friends, family and co-workers and follow their latest status updates via social networks.
- A new facial recognition feature recognizes your face and allows you to unlock the phone simply by looking at it.
- The phone supports Google+ and its networked video calling, so you and several of your friends can vid-chat, and a new feature called “Android Beam” allows you to quickly share web pages, apps and YouTube videos with friends by tapping your Android phones together, provided they are both running the required software versions.
- The Nexus will also be the first to receive software updates and apps from Google as soon as they are available.Here is the press release:
VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE GALAXY NEXUS BY SAMSUNG
Features the Latest Version of Android and America’s Fastest and Most Reliable 4G Network
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless today announced that the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung, the world’s first smartphone running on Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich is coming to Verizon Wireless. The Galaxy Nexus will be available later this year in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
Ice Cream Sandwich brings a redesigned user interface with enhanced multitasking, notifications, full Web browsing experience and more. Customers will also be able to enjoy the innovative new features that Ice Cream Sandwich offers, such as Face Unlock which uses facial recognition to unlock the Galaxy Nexus. Customers can take advantage of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network to access more than 300,000 apps and games from Android Market™ or rent movies and stream them instantly on the 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display.
· 4G LTE – customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas
· Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
· First smartphone to feature a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display (1280 x 720)
· 1.2 GHz dual-core processor with 1GB RAM
· 5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash, zero shutter lag and 1080p full HD video capture
· 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chatting
· Near Field Communications (NFC) enabled
· Android Beam allows customers to quickly share Web pages, apps and YouTube™ videos with friends by simply tapping compatible phones together
· Support for Google™ mobile services – Android Market, Gmail™, Google Maps™ 5.0 with 3D maps, Google Earth™, Movie Studio, YouTube™, syncing with Google Calendar™ and a redesigned Google＋ app
Customers that purchase the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.